When deciding whether to invest in a laptop or desktop as a graphic designer, one take a few specs into consideration. Are you a freelancer? Do you work from home or are you more mobile. Ideally, to get the best out of either device, you want to get a system with i5 or i7 Intel processor (for speed), with between 8 GB to 16 GB of RAM (for memory).
For motion graphics you would need a system with between 16 to 32 GB of RAM and an i7 Intel Processor with 3.0GHz or more. If you insist on using a desktop for your designs, you will need multiple hard drives, approximately 4 to 6 drives.
Advantage of Laptops for Graphic Design
- Amazing displays
- Fast drives
- Plenty GB of RAM
- If you are a freelancer, consider mobility.
- Great for photo editing and retouching
- Great for web design and print design
Dell Latitude i7
Dell Inspirion i7
Advantages of Desktops for Graphic Design
- A lot of power supply, will not die on you.
- Can accommodate multiple hard drives with up to 32 GB -64 GB of RAM
- A desktop tower is available, giving you the room to adapt and build out a powerhouse machine.
- RAID arrays, dual video cards and multiple media ports on one system.
- Great for print, web design; motion graphics, 3D rendering, Digital Painting and more
Mac Pro (Cylinder)
Cyber PowerPC Supreme SLC7200 Intel i7-3960X 3.3GHz
For more information from Ellae Creative on how you can improve your skills as a Designer, click HERE. Join our intensive training programme that will improve your skills and advance your potential as a world-class designer. Remember, our top priority is YOU!